tar-1.13 exclude files

Carsten Gehrke carsten at rollinghorse.com
Sun Jan 5 17:56:20 PST 2003

At 09:01 05-01-03, you wrote:
>On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Carsten P. Gehrke wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else had problems excluding files with tar-1.13?  I tried using
> > an exclude file, and it didn't seem to work they way I interpreted the
> > documentation.  Then I tried the same file on a system with a newer
> version
> > of tar, and it worked as expected.  I then replaced tar on the first
> > machine with tar-1.13.25 (from the GNU alpha site), and it also worked as
> > expected.  Does anyone have any background information?  I couldn't
> find an
> > explicit reference to my problem in the tar change log.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Carsten
> >

>  Yes, you are spot on. Gerard has recommended tar-1.13.25 in the past
>because of this, but he won't put it into the book because it's alpha
>software. [ hope I haven't misattributed his position here... ]

That might be true, but what about the patches applied to various
packages?  IMHO, patched software is also alpha or maybe beta software, but
certainly not release quality.  I may be wrong, but I've always considered
patches as a way to fix a problem in a released software package, with the
patches possibly finding their way into the next release.  But still,
patches are sort of "use at your own risk" kind of things...

--
Carsten Gehrke     LFS No.: 190    using Linux since kernel 0.98
carsten at gehrke.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org