kernel modules problem

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Jan 5 11:25:37 PST 2003

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Chris Wright wrote:

> I'm a bit of a linux newbie so please execuse me if this is a stupid
> question :-)
>
> I'm experimenting with using kernel modules for my network devices, etc but
> whenever I experiment with modprobe it appears to be looking in the wrong
> place for the modules.
>
> I'm using kernel 2.4.19 so my modules are in /lib/modules/2.4.19 however
> modprobe appears to be looking in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3
>
> As a result it immediately bombs out as it can't find modules.dep
>
> How do you ensure modprobe is looking at the correct set of modules?

Did you remember to run depmod -a in the kernel environment?
Doing a modprobe -c will show the paths it uses (including the default)
and a bunch of other information.
Did you remember to copy the new $LFS/usr/src/linux-*/System.map into your
boot directory? IIRC, it can be renamed to match your kernel version,
thereby allowing your previous map to still be available.

Do some man modprobe (it talks about default paths, but never mentions
what it is) and man depmod.

BTW, I do recall that if I ran depmod inside chroot, it picks up the host
kernel version, *not* the new kernel version. It can be over-ridden at the
end of the depmod command.

HTH

Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com