copying kernel configuration question

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Sat Jan 4 15:29:00 PST 2003

ADB,

On Saturday 04 January 2003 23:17, you wrote:
 > I'm using LM 9.0 as my development platform for building LFS. I want to
 > copy all the kernel and module information over to my new LFS kernel. With
 > the official 'vanilla' kernel sources, I was always able to find the
 > configure file easily, but i can't seem to find it in my mandrake sources.
 > Someone kindly refresh my memory- where in the kernel source tree is the
 > kernel configure file usually located?

The config file is '.config', in the root of the linux kernel source. If
you installed your linux kernel in /usr/src/linux, then you should have
/usr/src/linux/.config  <- that is the configuration file for the kernel.

I also have MDK 9.0, but I removed the kernel sources (switched to 2.4.20).
They must be located in /usr/src/linux-2.4.29-xymdk , where xy is a 2-digit
number (must be 16 for MDK 9.0) and you'll have to install the package
kernel-2.4.19-16mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm, that is available on the first CD.

If you copy a .config from another kernel (not too far from this one, though!)
you can rebuild the config by issuing this command:
make oldconfig

Anyway, the vanilla kernel does not come with a .config file by default.
The best bet is to build your own .config .

Regards,
Yann.

PS. Try to break lines at most at 80 col. :-)

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home  594 | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org