Installing from the boot CD with a non-bootable CD?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sat Jan 4 09:58:59 PST 2003

On Thu 02 Jan 2003 21:28, you wrote:
> Alas! John Gay spake thus:
> > use grub to boot the CD directly.
>
> Yeah, that's how I'd do it, personally.

As a proof of concept, I loaded a Suse 7.1 live eval disk I had lying around
and tried to boot it directly from grub, but it could not find the boot file,
which was in /Suse/Images/Boot

Seems that although grub can recognise most file systems, it can't mount a CD
to boot from.

Next best thing would be to copy the boot image from the CD to floppy and use
that to boot from. If that fails too, I can still fall back on using Toms
floppy to boot the PC and then mount the CD and build from there.

Cheers,

	John Gay
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org