pb after compiling glibc

Carsten Gehrke carsten at rollinghorse.com
Sat Jan 4 09:49:51 PST 2003

At 08:46 04-01-03, you wrote:
>I did the following :
>
>../glibc-2.3.1/configure --prefix=/usr \
>     --disable-profile --enable-add-ons \
>     --libexecdir=/usr/bin
>echo "cross-compiling = no" > configparms
>make &&
>make install
>make localedata/install-locales
>
>Everything worked fine until the following :
>I have no name!:/static/src/glibc-build# exec /static/bin/bash --login
>Erreur de segmentation (core dumped)
>[root at linux lfs]#
>
>As you can see it went out of the chroot environment...!!!
>
>Any clue?

I have been following this thread for some time, and would like to address
the chroot problem.  I had something similar happen to me, and perhaps it
might be the same in your case.  Then again, it might not :-)

Anyway, I wrote a script to build and install glibc.  For some reason the
build failed.  Because I did not have the && after each command, especially
after the command that failed, the other commands were still executed,
including the exec /static/bin/bash --login.  I was just as surprised as
you that the prompt no longer showed "I have no name!" and also assumed
that I was no longer chroot'ed.

To make the long story short, what had happened is that the new shell was
using a library (I don't know which) that resolved the name.  Typing exit
got me back to the "I have no name!" shell.

Just a thought...

Bon chance !

--
Carsten Gehrke     LFS No.: 190    using Linux since kernel 0.98
carsten at gehrke.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org