rc Bootscript Revisited

Geoffrey Clements bitbucket at electron.me.uk
Fri Jan 3 10:15:20 PST 2003

A little while ago I asked a question about the rc bootscript, it was all
about why scripts from the previous runlevel are *not* checked for being
started when entering runlevels 0 and 6.

Basically the problem was that I was killing gpm in runlevel 0 but not
starting it in runlevel 5 (my usual runlevel).  This caused an [ATTN]
message at shutdown.

A fix was kindly supplied by someone who's name I can not find because the
message is no longer on the server but who donated valuable sleep time and
for which I am grateful.

Well, I've just recovered from my Christmas haze and I've just had another
look at the problem and here's my solution:

I changed the rc script (patch attached to this message).  This simply
suppresses the test for runlevels 0 and 6 and also suppresses the warning
message.  Then I changed the symlinks from K99halt to S99halt and from
K99reboot to S99reboot in rc0.d and rc6.d.  It seems to work OK.

--
Geoff                                           Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.