GCC install cant find compiler

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 06:08:06 PST 2003

A D B wrote:

> I'm trying to install gcc for the second time (not static, in the chrooted
> environment), and I get the following errors:
>
> ../gcc-3.2/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared \
>>     --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-threads=posix \
>>     --with-slibdir=/lib --enable-__cxa_atexit \
>>     --enable-clocale=gnu
> Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1 host.
> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>      target-libf2c target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib
>      target-libjava zlib fastjar target-libobjc
>     (Any other directories should still work fine.)
> Created "Makefile" in /usr/src/lfs-packages-4.0/gcc-build using "mh-frag"
> and "mt-frag"

/static/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
> cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory collect2: ld returned 1 exit
> status
> *** The command '/static/bin/gcc -s -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Check that CC='gcc -s' if you want to use this.

The error is caused by not finding crt1.o;  this should be in /usr/lib
and should have been installed when you did glibc-

Check if it there by doing ls  $LFS/usr/lib  Are you sure that
glibc installed correctly?

If it is there, go into the chroot environment and do
 gcc -print-search-dirs

If /usr/lib is not the last field; let us know.

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org