groupadd, GID issue

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Thu Jan 2 16:40:05 PST 2003

On 2003.01.01 22:37 Christian Franck wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 05:28:40PM -0500, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> >
> > You're missing the group root, looks like you didn't create the file
> from the
> > beginning of chapter 6, under "Creating the /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group files".
> >

> Thanks for this input, Justin.
> I rechecked both the files /etc/passwd and /etc/group.
>
> /etc/passwd:
> root:<cypted password here>:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Hmm, did you run pwconv, because if you did then the password field
should be 'x', with the encryted password in /etc/shadow. Anyway, i
digress, this shouldnt affect group resolution.

> /etc/group:
> root:x:0:
> bin:x:1:
> sys:x:2:
> kmem:x:3:
> tty:x:4:
> tape:x:5:
> daemon:x:6:
> floppy:x:7:
> disk:x:8:
> lp:x:9:
> dialout:x:10:
> audio:x:11:
> users:x:100:
>
> Seems to look ok.
> I tried to create a group "users" which isn't recognised either,
> only the GID "100" is reported but not the name "users".

When you try to create a 'users' group, does it appear to work ok ?

What does the group entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf look like, it should be

group: files

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org