alias and keymap problems

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 2 12:39:51 PST 2003

On January 2, 2003 09:53 am, Stefan Buchholz wrote:
> I use the bashrc and profile files from BLFS, only the global ones (no
> ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile). Everything in there seems to work fine,
> expect for the "alias ls='ls --color=auto'". I also added an additional
> line saying "alias rm='rm -i'", but it didn't work either when I logged
> on as root (I don't have any other users so far). When I type alias at
> the bash prompt, nothing is listed.

Maybe bash isn't reading the global files for some reason, it depends on how
bash was called (as sh or bash and login shell or not). Try using a personal
~/.bashrc and ~/. bash_profile file just to see if Bash is at least something
_some_ kind of file. Then you can debug further.

The bash man page will tell you which files is read under which situations.

Also using strace to start bash will show you all the system calls made. Maybe
there's a permission error preventing bash from reading the global file.

I can't help with the keymap problem myself.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org