Installing from the boot CD with a non-bootable CD?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Thu Jan 2 12:17:17 PST 2003

I know this is going to sound backwards, but . . .

I'm rebuilding a PC for my daughter. Since Windows is in a world of it's own,
I installed it first.

Next, I used Tom's Root/Boot floppy to create some Linux partitions and the
grub hint to figure out how to install grub on the PC to boot into Windows98.
Yea, I'm strange ;-)

After concidering trying to use Tom's floppy to somehow install an LFS
system, I decided to wget the LFS 4.0 CD. One small problem, the PC in
question can not boot from CD.

I'm guessing I can either use Tom's floppy to mount the CD or maybe use grub
to boot the CD directly. Either way, the next step is to build LFS, followed
by X and KDE3.1, once it is released. I might decide to use the KDE3.0.4
sources I've got on DVD if things go faster than I anticipate.

I 'think' I understand the process enough to build directly from the CD to
the hard drive, and having grub allready installed and working should make
the conversion to a bootable system a bit easier.

However, any Ideas, pitfalls or tips would be greatly appreciated. This will
be my final test before I wipe my own Debian system and re-build it from
scratch!

Thanks for all the hard work! It's be very educational and liberating
following your documentation!

Cheers,

	John Gay
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org