monitor refresh rate -> how to increase? (NO `X' environment)

Dagmar d'Surreal no.spam at allowed.here
Thu Jan 2 09:19:28 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 00:19, Rob Park wrote:
> Alas! calmar spake thus:
> > It's also possible to change the 'lengh' of a line (default 80 I guess),
> > I need to change something in the Lilo-boot when I remember properly. So
> > this I will find out I guess.
>
> Pass 'vga=ask' to the kernel at boot time, and it will let you change
> the 'resolution' of your console. If you find one you like, you can then
> change it to 'vga=#', where the # is the # of the one you like.

I'll add to this that vga=ask will only show you entries for plain VGA
text modes, so about the best you'll usually see with this is 132x60 and
on many video cards you don't see options wider than 80 appear.  Not all
monitors will even display some of these modes.  Very annoying.  :/

You might want to look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt for
information about VESA framebuffer modes, which aren't strictly speaking
neatly divided into "classic" proportions, but which use a slightly more
complex method of drawing characters in higher resolution modes such as
1024x768.  Plus using framebuffer, you will have some graphical options
available to you without the nightmare that is SVGAlib.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org