monitor refresh rate -> how to increase? (NO `X' environment)

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Thu Jan 2 02:36:36 PST 2003

Calmar,

On Thursday 02 January 2003 06:39, you wrote:
 > Hi,
 > does anybody know how I can increase my monitors refresh rate in a no-X
 > environment? (normal terminal mode)
 > I have there 75 Herz refresh I think. I really would like to increase
 > this a little bit !!! eagerly !
 > It's also possible to change the 'lengh' of a line (default 80 I guess),
 > I need to change something in the Lilo-boot when I remember properly. So
 > this I will find out I guess.

The framebuffer (fb) is definetly what you want. Compile fb into the kernel
(or module at first to test), and then read Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt
and Documentation/fb/<your-card-name>.txt. You'll have to pass options such
as vga=<cardname>:<resolution>[:options] to the kernel at boot time, or to
the module at load time.

I know for Matrox it allows you to set things such as refresh rate. With mine
I set up a hires console at 1280x1024x24 at 80 (160x64 col-lines).

Although marked as experimental, fb support is doing quite well now. It's
almost OK with my G400 (still a little problem when coming back from X from
time to time, but back to X then to console corrects it).

 > Thanks for any help !

You're welcome.

Regards,
Yann.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home  577 | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org