My LFS Booted !

Dagmar d'Surreal no.spam at allowed.here
Thu Jan 2 02:27:10 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 21:53, Farley Benn wrote:
> In article <20030102014350.124044ef.spyro at f2s.com>, Ian Molton wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 22:31:21 +0000 (UTC)
> > no.spam at allowed.here (Dagmar d'Surreal) wrote:
> >

> >> Welcome to the age of graphical display software that allows programs
> >> to control the layout and density of information presented to the user
> >> in ways that don't interfere with the displays from other programs.
> >> Welcome to the age of browsers that use Javascript, Flash, and (coming
> >> up fast) native SVG.

> Welcome to the age when grown men have to read picture books because they
> have the attention spans of  3 year olds and too much TV has wasted their
> abilities to imagine and visualize.

Gee, if I didn't know you to be such a civil person, I might think you
were implying that I was similarly affected.  In any case, no one in
their right mind attempts to "imagine and visualize" any dataset
comprised of thousands (or even hundreds) of individual points.  That's
one of the reasons we *have* computers to begin with.  Major
institutions have entire labs devoted to this very field of study.

> Welcome to the age when merchants have taken over the development of computers,
> turning them into a perversion of television and convincing the sheep that this
> is a good thing.

Funny... I have a bigger monitor than a television, and I tend to not
even use the television anymore.  What exactly did this have to do with
what I was saying?  Everything *I* cited were things which you can't do
with a cell-based display.

> > Its about time the x86 community got a format like SVG.
> >
> > RISC OS has had one since 15 years ago that was standard in just about
> > every graphical app on the platform. it was heaven on a stick.
>
> I haven't had a TV since about 1985,  and I don't want one now.
>
> And there isn't ONE damn thing that a person can do with a GUI that I can't
> do better and faster without one.

Asking you to back this up with money would just be cruel of me.  In any
case, this has nothing to do with support issues.  I was merely hoping
you'd see the error of your ways when you made this statement before.
If you'd done your research before opening your mouth you'd have seen
the _entire_ post I made, which included the following example:

"... you'll never be able to monitor the console status
of nine routers (god forbid anything like Maxen) simultaneously using
screen, but nine xterms can do it easily.  There are more."

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org