My LFS Booted !

Rainer Peter Feller rainer at maren.desy.de
Thu Jan 2 00:10:40 PST 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> > Not only can I do everything that you can do with KDE, but it is faster,
> > takes WAY less disk and memory and cpu time, and I can customize it in a jiff,
> > any time I want.
>
> Welcome to the age of graphical display software that allows programs to
> control the layout and density of information presented to the user in
> ways that don't interfere with the displays from other programs.
> Welcome to the age of browsers that use Javascript, Flash, and (coming
> up fast) native SVG.  Welcome to the year 2003, where people use mice
> (and sometimes tablets) with Gimp to edit digital artwork, instead of
> using TheDraw or MicroAngelo.  The technology is here man, learn to use
> it or don't be suprised when _you_ are declared obsolete.
>
> You might be comfortable with your console-only setup, and it may well
> do everything you need it to, but don't make the mistake of thinking
> that you can do everything someone who is using X and a window manager
> can do.  One example, you'll never be able to monitor the console status
> of nine routers (god forbid anything like Maxen) simultaneously using
> screen, but nine xterms can do it easily.  There are more.

just don't blame him to be fast and running fine with 4mb ram and 250mb
hdd on 386sx16. (which would be impossible with kde3.1)
not that I suppose that he uses such a ... DEVICE.

sometimes you just don't need all the extra X stuff

at work I have two 17"crts at 1280x1024 to make use of many xterms ...
ahem ...

But I am also a aalib fan ...

CUH Rainer Peter Feller

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org