My LFS Booted !

Farley Benn nospam at mail.invalid
Wed Jan 1 21:50:38 PST 2003

In article <lm24t8xc.fsf at calmar.ws>, calmar wrote:
> Farley Benn <nospam at mail.invalid> writes:
>

>> I use the window manager screen, and can have 256 windows (more, actually),
>> split or not, with cutting and pasting between them, and titled, at my
>> fingertips. No X, no mouse, no GUI.
>>

>> Don't feel bad though, it's amazing the number of people that don't know
>> about screen, which is, to my knowledge, the only window manager that doesn't
>> need the X libs and such.
>>
>> As for "anything [useful] extra the GUI can do" , well, you name it and
>> I can do it faster and cleaner without the GUI, and change the entire
>> configuration of my desktop on very short notice.
>>
> When I would like to play some chess, I appreciate a nice 'graphical'
> board, because it's closer to reality. Then again I don't like 3d chess,
> just the 2d board is OK for me.
> I would not like to play in a no-gui (hmm graphical) environment. For something we have
> eyes, which also wants to see some beauty on the screen in order to be
> happy.
> I mean you prefer whatever music you like in old commodore 64 style rather
> than cd quality?
>
> But when you really can handle your work without gui, it's possible you
> can do it faster and cleaner, not beeing disturbed by too much graphic
> (maybe because a no GUI environment let's you concentrate more on the
> important things)
>  .. i think it depends on what you do. In general I like purists :-),
> (good things are simple pretty often)
> P.e at the swiss post, the people serving the customers have computer
> but no mice - i guess this is so, because it's faster once you know how
> to do. (they have high resolution graphic and GUI.. just no mice)
> I also like to do things sometimes _only_ with the mouse :P.
>
> IMHO
> calmar
>
> (PS: maybe I missed here the point: what's in question ..GUI or ability to show high
> resolution graphic? I mixed up above a little bit I guess)

Hi Calmar-

	I don't play computer games and do not have sound enabled in my
kernel.
	If I want to play chess, I take out a board. If I want to play
music, I turn on my CD player or my radio.

The right tool for the right job, eh?

Farley

--
	Life is the strangest thing I've ever done.

littlefoot8 (at) earthlink
(dot)net ---- Registered LFS User #7328
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org