My LFS Booted !

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jan 1 21:10:15 PST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 04:50:50 +0000 (UTC)
Farley Benn <nospam at mail.invalid> wrote:

> I use the window manager screen, and can have 256 windows (more,
> actually), split or not, with cutting and pasting between them, and
> titled, at my fingertips. No X, no mouse, no GUI.
>
> Per tty.

Yep. I use screen too. useful piece of software.

NOT a replacement for a GUI.

> > anything [useful] extra the GUI can do as well is a bonus.
> >
> > so, a GUI is, at WORST, only as useless as /several/ terminals.
> >
> > have a nice day :)
>
> Don't feel bad though, it's amazing the number of people that don't
> know about screen, which is, to my knowledge, the only window manager
> that doesn't need the X libs and such.

and whats to stop me having 20,000 desktops, filled with terminals,
stuffed with 'screens'

(actually, dont answer that - isnt the hard limit on PIDs about 32000
odd?)

but you get the point? I hope :)

> As for "anything [useful] extra the GUI can do" , well, you name it
> and I can do it faster and cleaner without the GUI, and change the
> entire configuration of my desktop on very short notice.

How would you do this on a text console then, you may use any ancillary
tool you like:

*Compile kernels in one terminal
*Edit kernel source in another
*X-reference said source in a third one
*have my ICQ contacs list on screen at ALL times
*have the audio mixer on screen at all times
*have the input from the soundcard on screen in a digital
multimeter/scope type application monitoring some hardware
*have the display of an emulator (used to run the kernel mentioned
above)
*have either xmms or mplayer running, with playlist

I can do this all on one desktop, with minimal overlap of windows and no
overlap of important ones. can you do it on one tty?

(oh, and I often have all the above, and netscape running on a seperate
desktop, occasionally the GIMP...)

Dont get me wrong, I love the commandline.

I used to use an elaborate pipework of mpg123, lame, and ssh to (in real
time) decompress, re-encode to a lower bitrate, stream over the internet
to work, and redecompress mp3s, so I could listen to my home mp3s while
at work.

no GUI tool could have done that with the same ease, but then, no
commandline can do the stuff I listed above with such elegance either.

Horses for courses.

NB. Of course, for adminning a box running half a dozen q3 servers,
screen is the perfect tool...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org