My LFS Booted !

Farley Benn nospam at mail.invalid
Wed Jan 1 20:50:50 PST 2003

In article <20030102040428.033fea33.spyro at f2s.com>, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 03:53:24 +0000 (UTC)
> Farley Benn <nospam at mail.invalid> wrote:
>

>> And there isn't ONE damn thing that a person can do with a GUI that I
>> can't do better and faster without one.
>
> bullshit.
>
> GUIs win hands down for one simple fact:
>
> Even if they do NOTHING else they can have multiple text terminals on
> them.

> multiple terminals on screen HAS to be better than one (if you can read
> the text!!).

I use the window manager screen, and can have 256 windows (more, actually),
split or not, with cutting and pasting between them, and titled, at my
fingertips. No X, no mouse, no GUI.

Per tty.

> anything [useful] extra the GUI can do as well is a bonus.
>
> so, a GUI is, at WORST, only as useless as /several/ terminals.
>
> have a nice day :)

Don't feel bad though, it's amazing the number of people that don't know
about screen, which is, to my knowledge, the only window manager that doesn't
need the X libs and such.

As for "anything [useful] extra the GUI can do" , well, you name it and
I can do it faster and cleaner without the GUI, and change the entire
configuration of my desktop on very short notice.

Farley
--
	Life is the strangest thing I've ever done.

littlefoot8 (at) earthlink
(dot)net ---- Registered LFS User #7328
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org