[OT] elegance? Thanks!

Dagmar d'Surreal no.spam at allowed.here
Wed Jan 1 15:36:48 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:31, Willem Oldeman wrote:
> Thanks Gareth,
> your last solution seems to suit me best, since I get easy access to the
> netmask as well. Never thought of the dhcpcd info files....
> The eval & grep work much better!
> I use it to configure my firewalling rules on that good ole 486-66 :-)
> Next time I'll direct this type of question to the blfs list. Sorry for that.

For this sort of thing, it would be more elegant to use ISC's dhclient,
since it has a facility that allows it to call a shell script with IP
information being passed as environment variables each and every time it
does something.  Using this mechanism you avoid all the struggles of how
to get the IP information, and you're assured that your firewalling
configuration will be able to change *when* your IP assignments change
instead of whenever your scripts notice it.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org