groupadd, GID issue

Christian Franck cfranck at mail.isis.de
Wed Jan 1 14:37:21 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 05:28:40PM -0500, Justin Hibbits wrote:

> You're missing the group root, looks like you didn't create the file from the
> beginning of chapter 6, under "Creating the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files".

Thanks for this input, Justin.
I rechecked both the files /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

/etc/passwd:
root:<cypted password here>:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

/etc/group:
root:x:0:
bin:x:1:
sys:x:2:
kmem:x:3:
tty:x:4:
tape:x:5:
daemon:x:6:
floppy:x:7:
disk:x:8:
lp:x:9:
dialout:x:10:
audio:x:11:
users:x:100:

Seems to look ok.
I tried to create a group "users" which isn't recognised either,
only the GID "100" is reported but not the name "users".

I think I have to look deeper in here.

Christian
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org