[Re: Building without chroot'ing]

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 10:00:38 PST 2003

Eric Miller wrote:

>>compile bash with --prefix=/mnt/lfs.  When we try to boot into the new
>>LFS, then bash will be looking for it's /etc/profile as
>>/mnt/lfs/etc/profile, which, of course, won't exist on the new LFS >system
>>

>Yes, but you are referring to the static portion.  What I am suggesting is
>*skipping* this alltogether becuase a current LFS4.0 CD host is everything
>found in CH5 (and more).
>

>>This is another reason for the use of the static builds and the chroot -
>>the static builds are to give enough of a development base to start
>>compiling things, once $LFS becomes our root, and the new things that >are
>>compiled in Chap 6 have the correct paths in the binaries.
>>

>Again, I beleive you mis interpret the question.  My apologies for lack of
>clarity.  Yes, ch5 is a development base (as should be an LFS CD)
>
>I disagree that the ch5 environment has any effect on correct paths to
>binaries for ch6 builds.  Ch6 is built from a new source tree with completely
>different c&m&mi commands that indicate the new ch6 FHS filestructure.

You can boot from a LFS CD, and then compile the dynamic versions
directly to $LFS. But you will need to make a few changes to the install
instructions.

For example for installing findutils:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr ... &&
    make &&
    make DESTDIR=$LFS install

See the symlink style package managers (encap, etc.) for more
information on how and why.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/