[Re: Building without chroot'ing]

Eric Miller emiller at techskills.com
Wed Jan 1 09:56:07 PST 2003

>The simplest solution would be to mount --bind your cd onto your hard
>disc, create a symlink forest on your hard disk that points to the
>--bind, then chroot to your hard disk. Take care that the symlinks
>do not include the mount point of the hard disc.

Thanks, Richard.  While this suggestion makes perfect sense, is it really
necessary?

       --bind Remount a subtree somewhere  else  (so  that  its  contents  are
available in both places). See above.

I am logged in as root to the CD environment, and I have my target (where I
want a new LFS) partition mounted on /mnt/foo, so its contents is *already*
available in both places.  This seems to me to be very similar to the
situation created after chrooting at the beginning of ch6.  the only caveat is
that the install commands (and others) need to be slightly modified to
indicate /mnt/foo instead of /, because otherwise the commands as written will
try to install to directories on the CD, which will def not be good.

Am I crazy here?  Most of the responses seem to indicate that I am either not
asking the question correctly, or that there is a missing concept that I
completly don't grasp.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org