Building without chroot'ing

Richard A Downing richard.downing at bcs.org.uk
Wed Jan 1 06:35:05 PST 2003

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> The main reason for the static build is so that there is no
> contamination from the host env. But if you are already building from an
> identical LFS, there is no need to even go as far as compiling Ch. 6.
> Why not just make a tarball of the current installation, untar it over
> the new partition, make a few configuration changes and adjust the boot
> loader.

On that note, I keep both a 686 and a 486 running lfs.  If I build the 686
with a uname hack to 486, I can then run both from the same binaries.
Question, how much do I lose on the 686 by running 486 on it?
The ease of update would be worth something here.  In fact I could even NFS
mount /usr (ro) maybe, or part of it.
Richard.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org