bash compilation trouble

Tim tim at littlemore-email.co.uk
Wed Jan 1 06:33:23 PST 2003

Just my luck - the very first bit of compiling in the book, and I can't get it
to work!!

I run the make command after configuring bash (with this command:
[lfs at localhost bash-2.05a]$ ./configure --enable-static-link
--prefix=/mnt/lfs/static --with-curses)

The make command finish with the following error:

gcc -s  -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"i686"'
-DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-gnu"' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='"i686-pc-linux-gnu"'
-DCONF_VENDOR='"pc"' -DSHELL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.  -I. -I./include -I./lib
-g -O2 -c shell.c
In file included from shell.h:41,
                 from shell.c:48:
externs.h:163: conflicting types for `gethostname'
/usr/include/unistd.h:734: previous declaration of `gethostname'
externs.h:196: conflicting types for `strncasecmp'
/usr/include/string.h:277: previous declaration of `strncasecmp'
make: *** [shell.o] Error 1

I hope that's enough of the message for that to mean something to someone.
I've had a quick look at the source code in externs.h and the code around  163
- there's a test done on whether HAVE_GETHOSTNAME has a value. If it doesn't,
a function is called (gethostname).

I've echoed $HAVE_GETHOSTNAME and I get an empty variable, so it looks to my
like gethostname is being called.

Well that's about as much as I could figure out... I'm probably barking up the
wrong tree completely!

If anyone could shed any light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!!

Tim
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org