Kernel oops in kupdated

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jan 1 04:08:27 PST 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 09:22:40 +0000 (UTC)
rbpark at ualberta.ca (Rob Park) wrote:

> > The upshot of this is that between the Radeon 9000 pro putting out
> > more heat and the RAM timings being tighter, the CPU runs 3 degrees
> > hotter.
>
> How is that an upshot? ;)
>
> Say, what temp does your processor run at anyway (and what MHz is
> it?). Mine's bloody 55 degrees Celcius, I need to buy a second case
> fan for it.

Heh. actually, last night, I watched the temp whilst compiling and it
went up to 70 degrees.

then, whilst poking about in the case last night, something got
disturbed and the box refused to boot until the CMOS was reset

So, having taken the whole box to pieces, I decided to practice what I
preach and tidy up the cabling, which had been gradually getting worse
over the years.

well, what a difference!!

It used to run at an average temp. of 58.5 degrees (idle) and now it
runs at 55.5!!!

and on load its like 57-58 instead of 70!

I have to credit part of this to blowing dust out of the case fan and
PSU, but still!!!

Oh, and 55 degrees is harmless for an Athlon / duron - dont worry about
it.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org