unable to open an initial console

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 31 12:58:08 PST 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 17:01, Rui Ferreira wrote:
> There's something else, but I also doubt it is the problem,
> from the book:
> l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 0
> l1:S1:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 1
> l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 2
> l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3
> l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 4
> l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 5
> l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 6
> |=> These are L's letter L
>
> You have:
> 10:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 0
> 11:S1:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 1
> 12:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 2
> 13:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3
> 14:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 4
> 15:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 5
> 16:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 6
> |=> 1's One

I can't help but find that one funny.  I can say I've seen his error
message before from when I was trying to get my system to go from glibc
2.1.x to glibc 2.2.x and messed up dramatically.  There are two things
he should check very closely because _either_ will cause the system to
emit this message...  One is that his inittab binary can function
properly, and the other being that getty/mingetty/agetty will function
as he has it configured.  If either of these things chucks out a
segfault instead of running, it'll give that very sequence of errors
(and a broken inittab can _also_ cause it, so even it wasn't the
complete fix it was a good thing to spot)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org