USB Support fails

David C david at desolateonline.com
Thu Oct 31 12:31:18 PST 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 07:41 am, you wrote:
> using the fstab entry the lfs-book recommends for the usb support
> (usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb defaults 0 0) i recieve the following error
> msg while booting: mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist
>
> and some kind of: ...  error in a line of the
> /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S40mountfs ... error 96
>
> but i dont know how to fix it.
> hope you can help
> timm

I really hope someone can answer this, as I just finished doing the CVS
version I downloaded and started yesterday, and I'm having the exact
same error basically:

Mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist        [failed]

Then follows the standard "You should not be reading this...etc"
message, with /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S40mountfs exiting with a return
value of 32.

Aside from me getting value 32 versus his 96, this looks like the same
error to me.

I thought it might be due to my forgetting to create a modules.conf file
(which caused an error bringing up my nic). I created this file and
copied the relevant lines for usb and nic from my hosts' modules.conf,
and this fixed the nic error but not the usb.  The line I copied
pertaining to usb is as follows:

alias usb-controller usb-uhci

I have no idea if that line has anything to do with the problem or if
it's even needed, but either way it made no difference.

If you solve this problem or if anyone else can help, I would greatly
appreciate it. Thanks in advance...

David C.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org