Problem with useradd and passwd

Eric Miller emiller at techskills.com
Thu Oct 31 11:20:49 PST 2002

<snip>

>useradd and passwd are part of the shadow-4.0.3 package and both useradd
and passwd dynamically link to the library
>libcrypt.so.1, but I build a basic linux system using static linking only
according to the instructions of the lfs-book!

	If you are on page 29, you are still in the static build section still, and
therefore using the $PATH and programs available on your host system.  What
version of Linux is your host sytem?  What do you get when you echo $PATH,
and is useradd and passwd in any of those directories?

>What will I do now please? Should I do something important or should I
ignore it and continue building a basic linux > >>>>>system?

	I am told that you can do the static build as root, but I never tried it.
The user lfs is there to keep you from mucking up your host system during
the /static portion.  I would sort out the problem with your commands
first....

Good luck

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org