Problem with useradd and passwd

Eran erk at 012.net.il
Thu Oct 31 11:06:50 PST 2002

Hi,

When I planned to install all software as an unprivileged user (Please see it on the page 29 in the lfs-book), I typed the command below:

useradd -s /bin/bash -m lfs &&
passwd lfs

An error message appeared on my computer screen and stated that useradd was not found. Also passwd was not found.

useradd and passwd are part of the shadow-4.0.3 package and both useradd and passwd dynamically link to the library libcrypt.so.1, but I build a basic linux system using static linking only according to the instructions of the lfs-book! How come?

What will I do now please? Should I do something important or should I ignore it and continue building a basic linux system?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eran

I am not subscribed to a mailing list. Please email your message to my email address as follows below:

My email address: erk at 012.net.il