/boot/initrd ???

David C david at desolateonline.com
Thu Oct 31 05:56:46 PST 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 07:10 am, you wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, David C wrote:

--snip--

> >The following command from the LFS book is the "problem".
>
> I disagree.
>
> >cp /etc/lilo.conf $LFS/etc &&
> >cp $(grep "image.*=" /etc/lilo.conf | cut -f 2 -d "=") $LFS/boot
> >
> > It specifically copies the lilo.conf file from the host distro. If
> > the book doesn't mention that the lilo.conf very likely needs to be
> > edited to remove stuff like the boot message and ramdisk
> > referrences, then this question will keep popping up...
>
> The copy is needed, given the intent to make the lilo.conf from
> either "host" able to boot the other. The problem is that the new
> entries added for the LFS install have been created without the
> necessary changes (like removing references to unneeded initial ram
> disks) before the copies are done. It is a book problem only in that
> it may need to be "enhanced" to tell the user to think about what
> they are doing and don't just blindly copy the *entry* fro your
> previous host.
>
> BTW, I am not sure the OP porblem is that. With what was posted, I
> was questioning if the copy of the original was part of the problem.
>
> >David C.

I agree with you completely Bill. I did not mean to imply that the
command itself needs to be removed or changed, hence the quotes around
"problem". I meant that the effects of this command are what are
leading to confusion and errors for some users inexperienced with lilo
and/or the boot process. As you said, perhaps the book should be
"enhanced" in this section to point out the potential pitfalls and
solutions.

To the original poster, as well as copying over the ramdisk images as
Bill said, you'll most likely either need to delete the following line:

message = /boot/message

OR copy that file over from your host's /boot as well. If you do
neither, you'll just get another "NOT FOUND" error when you try to boot
again.

David C.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org