/boot/initrd ???

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Oct 31 05:10:52 PST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, David C wrote:

>On Wednesday 30 October 2002 03:08 pm, you wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Timm F. Gloger wrote:
>> >/sbin/lilo fails with the following errormsg. :
>> >"Fatal: open /boot/initrd: No such file or directory"
>> >
>> >i looked up mknod manpage but it didnt find any possibility to fix
>> > my error.
>>
>> Why would you look up mknod to fix a missing initial ram disk
>> specified in your lilo.conf? Do you need an initial ram disk? If not,
>> remove the specification from the entry in the lilo.conf. Did you
>> just copy your host's lilo.conf? That's not always good since you
>> just built your own "distro" that may look nothing like the original
>> host.
>>
>Maybe something should be done about this. This is the second time in
>the last few days I've seen a problem related to the lilo.conf being
>copied from the host distro. I myself had this exact same problem not
>so long ago, as you probably remember.
>
>The following command from the LFS book is the "problem".

I disagree.

>cp /etc/lilo.conf $LFS/etc &&
>cp $(grep "image.*=" /etc/lilo.conf | cut -f 2 -d "=") $LFS/boot
>
> It specifically copies the lilo.conf file from the host distro. If the
>book doesn't mention that the lilo.conf very likely needs to be edited
>to remove stuff like the boot message and ramdisk referrences, then
>this question will keep popping up...

The copy is needed, given the intent to make the lilo.conf from either
"host" able to boot the other. The problem is that the new entries added
for the LFS install have been created without the necessary changes (like
removing references to unneeded initial ram disks) before the copies are
done. It is a book problem only in that it may need to be "enhanced" to
tell the user to think about what they are doing and don't just blindly
copy the *entry* fro your previous host.

BTW, I am not sure the OP porblem is that. With what was posted, I was
questioning if the copy of the original was part of the problem.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org