/boot/initrd ???

David C david at desolateonline.com
Thu Oct 31 04:06:10 PST 2002

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 03:08 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Timm F. Gloger wrote:
> >/sbin/lilo fails with the following errormsg. :
> >"Fatal: open /boot/initrd: No such file or directory"
> >
> >i looked up mknod manpage but it didnt find any possibility to fix
> > my error.
>
> Why would you look up mknod to fix a missing initial ram disk
> specified in your lilo.conf? Do you need an initial ram disk? If not,
> remove the specification from the entry in the lilo.conf. Did you
> just copy your host's lilo.conf? That's not always good since you
> just built your own "distro" that may look nothing like the original
> host.

Maybe something should be done about this. This is the second time in
the last few days I've seen a problem related to the lilo.conf being
copied from the host distro. I myself had this exact same problem not
so long ago, as you probably remember.

The following command from the LFS book is the "problem".

cp /etc/lilo.conf $LFS/etc &&
cp $(grep "image.*=" /etc/lilo.conf | cut -f 2 -d "=") $LFS/boot

 It specifically copies the lilo.conf file from the host distro. If the
book doesn't mention that the lilo.conf very likely needs to be edited
to remove stuff like the boot message and ramdisk referrences, then
this question will keep popping up...

David C.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org