lfs

drharlan at pacbell.net drharlan at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 30 19:07:18 PST 2002

On 30 Oct, qp vives wrote:
> is it possible to install a linux system with a different directory structure,
> like for example installing using /system /software /config /temp, etc?
> --

Of course, if you know what you are doing.  I installed my LFS 4.0 on
 a partition hdb9 which was mounted under /mnt/aux in my parent system.
My statically compiled programs were installed in /usr/local on that
partition and now that I finished chapter 6, I've renamed it to
/usr/local.static for safekeeping in case something goes awry.  I also
booted to this partiton this morning with a few non-fatal errors (like
a missing /etc/modules.conf - I was sleepy) and now I'm taking a well
deserved break.

Having spouted all that, I should say that it all depends on your level
of experience. If you don't have several years of hard won experience
such as replacing Red Hat 6.2 rpm's with updated libs including
glibc-2.2.5 and programs that you've compiled yourself and your system
is still productive, then probably you should follow the book.  OK ?

But, it is g-r-e-a-t f-u-n !!  Thanks to all the LFS team for all they
have done to (greatly) increasing my level of understanding of linux.
--
Best of Luck,

Wayne E. Harlan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org