lfs

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Wed Oct 30 14:35:32 PST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:36:25 -0300 qp vives <cupevives at sinectis.com.ar>
wrote:

> is it possible to install a linux system with a different directory
> structure, like for example installing using /system /software /config
> /temp, etc?--

You don't say how you want those directories to work. What stuff do you
want in these directories?
Depending on what exactly you want this is more or less difficult. But
it's certainly possible. Many ./configure scripts offer a wide variety of
switches (see ./configure --help) to determine which directories to use.
For packages without such a comfortable configure, editing the Makefile
will often be enough. But sometimes you will have to edit the sources
itself. You would use something like

find -type f -exec grep -H /tmp {} \;

for instance to scan the source files for occurences of "/tmp". Then you
would edit these files (or use sed to do this automatically) to replace
"/tmp" with "/temp".

If you don't mind some extra symlinks you can probably make your task
easier. Instead of changing all programs to use /config instead of /etc,
you could create a symlink /config to /etc (or the other way around).

But of course the question is: Why do you want to do this? The names may
not be pretty, but they are standard. Usually you need a good reason for
not going with standards. You may think that your long names make the
system easier to understand but they make it harder to use information on
the web and on public mailing lists for solving problems. If you want to
ask about a problem in a public Linux forum (like this one) for instance
you will always have to start out with an explanation of your scheme and
you will probably get a lot less replies and many replies will say
something like "your directory layout probably broke stuff, we can't help
you".

MSB

--
A psychologist is a man who watches everyone else when a beautiful
girl enters the room.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org