ifconfig.*: No such file or directory

Rui Ferreira ruifmferreira at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 30 13:06:43 PST 2002

From: "rchurcher" <rchurcher at xtra.co.nz>
To: <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 8:40 PM
Subject: ifconfig.*: No such file or directory

> Finally got LFS working after simplifying the partition structure and
> replacing the flaky RedHat beta host system with Slackware. However,
> there is one niggling problem remaining. I must have missed a step
> somewhere, but don't quite know how to correct it. At the end of
> startup, the following message is issued:
>
>   grep: /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.*: No such file or
> directory
>
> The system seems to work pretty well even with the error, but of course
> I'd like to correct the problem. Where do I look?

>From the book LFS-4.0:

Chapter 7. Setting up system boot scripts
     Creating network interface configuration files
cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 << "EOF"
ONBOOT=yes
IP=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
EOFThe grep command is in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network script and is looking
for the above file to read information to start your network.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org