unable to open an initial console

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed Oct 30 01:41:46 PST 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:04:26AM -0600, Lawrence O'Sullivan wrote:
> The .config is attached. Frame buffers are not set. Although the original distribution does use frame
> buffers this should work without them, no?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to help.

A word of warning. The last time I tried to help someone with a similar
problem to yours, I was unable to solve it despite trying for days!

Ok, I've diffed your .config against mine. Nothing sticks out as being
obviously wrong.  Might be worth enabling MTRR and RTC but this is not
related to your prob. Machine is a laptop yes? I'm not sure whether
any other special options are req'd for a laptop.

Things to try:-

 - try booting kernel with command line arg   init=/bin/bash
   (I don't use LILO anymore and cannot remember the keystrokes but I think
    it's something like  "shift" then "tab" which should stop you at the
    lilo prompt. From there, it should be something like  "LFS init=/bin/bash"

 - try re-installing kernel ensuring to rerun lilo!

 - try using GRUB instead. You can do this without upsetting your current LILO
   arrangement by installing GRUB on a floppy and try booting from there. There
   is a grub hint available but a quick cheat sheet should be something like:-

     - install like any other package (./configure --prefix=/usr && make &&
       make install)

     - insert floppy diskette

     - cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc && dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1 &&
       dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1

     - boot from floppy

     - kernel (hd0,8)/boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda9 init=/bin/bash

 - try blowing away your $LFS/dev dir and recreating from scratch (ensuring
   /proc is mounted before doing so and also ensuring to reinstall the
   sysvinit package).

Thats all I can think of for now. Good luck!

Greg

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org