unable to open an initial console

Conrad Newton conrad.newton at broadpark.no
Wed Oct 30 00:01:08 PST 2002

Lawrence O'Sullivan on Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 03:51:07PM -0600:
> Hi!
>
> I could use some help with my LFS system. Everything was finished and seemed to compile corrctly, but the new LFS
> system doesn't run. Iget the following error:
>
> 	Freeing unused kernel memory: 140k freed
> 	Warning: unable to open an initial console
> 	Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init

Hi, I think I know what the problem is, since I had the same
problem just the other day.

You have misconfigured lilo/grub.  Take a look at your
configuration file and make sure that you have properly
identified the root file system.

Since you cannot find the root file system, you cannot
find /dev/console, even though it is there.

Example
-------
Boot Partition  /dev/hda6
Root Partition  /dev/hda7

Here is what I did wrong (taken from /boot/grub/grub.conf):

WRONG
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda6 hdd=ide-scsi
RIGHT
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda7 hdd=ide-scsi

The one identified as WRONG gives your error message.

Conrad

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org