lilo problem - Fatal: open /boot/message: No such file or directory

Gabriel Munoz munozga at uwec.edu
Tue Oct 29 20:30:30 PST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:10:23 +0000, Todd H. Siegel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It looks like my LFS 4.0 install went beautifully, except when I execute
> /sbin/lilo (per Chap 9, page 176) in my new LFS system I get:
>
> Fatal: open /boot/message: No such file or directory
>
> Did I miss something?  How can I remedy this?
>
> *I am not on this list so please CC: in you response, please*
>
> Thanks, Todd.

> HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
> http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

Did you perhaps copy the lilo.conf file from some other distribution?

If so look in your /etc/lilo.conf file and see if there is an option
at the top that reads: message=/boot/message
or something like that. Comment that line our and try to run lilo
again.

I used to do this all the time because I always copied RedHat's lilo
file and I think that the /boot/message file is used to customize
the screen you see when lilo loads. I'm not sure about that though.
Anyways, comment it out and try again.

-Gabe Munoz
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org