unable to open an initial console

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Oct 29 14:12:35 PST 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 03:51:07PM -0600, Lawrence O'Sullivan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I could use some help with my LFS system. Everything was finished and seemed to compile corrctly, but the new LFS
> system doesn't run. Iget the following error:
>
> 	Freeing unused kernel memory: 140k freed
> 	Warning: unable to open an initial console
> 	Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init
>
> I'm using LFS4.0. My original system is Mandrake 8.0. The system is on a QLITech Emperor laptop (same as Dell
> Inspiron 5000e), Pentium III 1GZh, 256mg RAM and 2gb for the LFS partition.
>
> I've tried the suggestions from the archives. Didn't find anything useful on google, etc. I'm still pulling my hair out.
> Attached is a text file with a listing from mnt/lfs/dev, lilo.conf, fstab, and inittab.

Nice to see someone who actually researched the archives and went to a
fair bit of effort to solve the problem themselves :) Now only if your
Opera would word wrap the lines, this would have been the perfect post!

> /mnt/lfs/dev# ls -l console tty tty0 tty1 tty2
> crw--w--w-    1 root     root       5,   1 Oct 22 11:59 console
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        5,   0 Oct 22 11:59 tty
> crw--w--w-    1 root     tty        4,   0 Oct 22 11:59 tty0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        4,   1 Oct 22 11:59 tty1
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       4,   2 Oct 22 11:59 tty2

Hmm, I just compared this against mine and the only difference is the
console line which is owned by root:tty. Though I'd be surprised if that
was the actual problem, but it might be worth trying.

I couldn't spot any anomalies in your other config files. Another common
cause of this problem is related to use of devfs, but you are not using
devfs are you?

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org