Fighting gcc 3.2 again.

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Tue Oct 29 09:07:27 PST 2002

* kaiyi lin <kaiyilin at compuserve.de> [2002-10-29 16:50]:
> Thanks a lot for infos. Right, when just a few transistors go
> wrong, whatever kind of electronic failure, it can lead to some
> unstable behaviour of PC. If I active Memory Parity check in Bios
> can it be possible solution or improvement in this case?!

No, parity check is almost useless. All it will do is lock up the
machine with an error message when when data from memory contains an
odd number of errors. This will tell you you have a problem, but I
think you have already worked that out.

If you had  bought some expensive kit, you could enable ECC (error
correcting code). This will correct some errors, and spot some others.
This is intended as a way to make good machines extremely reliable. It
is not a good choice for covering over problems in a sick machine.

If some of the transitors are hot enough to cause visible problems,
then they may well be hot enough to increase the rate of diffusion
in the chips. This will make them get hotter, less reliable and
increase the rate of diffusion until something breaks permanently.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org