e2fsck

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Oct 28 11:06:01 PST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Stefan Riha wrote:

>Now i have a new problem with my LFS System. Since a day i have found the
>following error message in my log file:
>Oct 28 18:57:53 steve_linux kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count
>reached, running e2fsck is recommended
>
>How doas i could configurate my system that i run e2fsck from time to time?

Normally this would be done when the system is booted. If you are using
the LFS-provided scripts, it should happen next boot, IIRC.

>And i have also an other question:
>
>I have the following /etc/fstab file:
># Begin /etc/fstab
>
># filesystem mount-point fs-type   options dump fsck-order
>
>/dev/hdb2       /                   ext3            defaults
>1       0
>/dev/hdb1       /boot            ext3            defaults                1
>0
>/dev/hdb3       /home           ext3            defaults                1
>0
>/dev/hdb4      swap             swap           pri=1                   0
>0
>proc              /proc             proc           defaults
>0       0
>devpts           /dev/pts         devpts         gid=4,mode=620 0       0
>usbdevfs       /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs     defaults                 0       0
>
>And i have the following output of mount:
>rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
>/dev/root on / type ext3 (rw)
>proc on /proc type proc (rw)
>/dev/hdb1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
>/dev/hdb3 on /home type ext3 (rw)
>devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
>usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
>/dev/fd0 on /mnt type vfat (rw)
>
>I have a problem with the first two lines of the mount output.
>Is this the same like
>/dev/hdb2 on / type ext3 (rw)
>
>I hope you can help me and please write back.

This is a result of the symlink of /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts and having (I
think) a 2.4.19 kernel. If you type

    rdev

it should confirm if /dev/root and rootfs are the expected /dev/hdb2.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org