I made it! (gcc 3.2 successful compiled)

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Oct 28 06:57:33 PST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, kaiyi lin wrote:

>Right. Then u mean that the removed 64M SIMM contains some errors?
>But I used mem86 to check it. After 10tests everything was OK.
>??
>

>Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, kaiyi lin wrote:
>>

>>>Finally after around i hours of compiling I made it. I said in last post
>>><snip>

>>>increased my RAM to 256MB yesterday and compiled gcc 3.2 in Chapter5
>>>successfully.(How come?? 64MB not enough for compiling gcc?? Strange)
>>

>> 64M is more than enough to compile GCC.  You might run into some problems
>> <snip>

>> If you just bumped your RAM up to 256Mb from 64, and you aren't doing it
>> with 4 64Mb 72-pin SIMMs, then you probably aren't having the problem
>> because you took the 64Mb of RAM you had before completely out of the
>> machine and replaced it with a couple of 128Mb DIMMs, right?

Another *possibility* is that something was not seated well. When you
added/removed the RAM, you seated everything well. Also, based on my
experience, when you have little ram (64MB used to be *huge*) you must
have plenty of swap. On a machine that 64MB and 256MB swap, I would get
the failures *sometimes*, but not always. Since I took that machine to
96MB, not one failure of that type.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com