I made it! (gcc 3.2 successful compiled)

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 27 21:09:08 PST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, kaiyi lin wrote:

> Finally after around i hours of compiling I made it. I said in last post
> that I assumed that I had CPU overheat problem and cannot make gcc 3.2
> compile in Chapter5. Now I found out that it was the RAM problem. More
> precisely I had not enough RAM(only 64M and Swap 100MB) 'Cause I DID
> increased my RAM to 256MB yesterday and compiled gcc 3.2 in Chapter5
> successfully.(How come?? 64MB not enough for compiling gcc?? Strange)

64M is more than enough to compile GCC.  You might run into some problems
if you're running X and a browser at the time, but if you're just running
something really lightweight like Blackbox and a few xterms, you should be
fine for compiling anything you want.

If you just bumped your RAM up to 256Mb from 64, and you aren't doing it
with 4 64Mb 72-pin SIMMs, then you probably aren't having the problem
because you took the 64Mb of RAM you had before completely out of the
machine and replaced it with a couple of 128Mb DIMMs, right?

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org