Problem compiling GCC

Robert Larsen robert at the-playground.dk
Sun Oct 27 12:41:14 PST 2002

>What is your configuration? How much swap, RAM, what CPU, etc. Check the
>LFS archives with the search tool and you'll see a bunch of stuff about
>how hard gcc/glibc and a few other things works the CPU. It sounds to me
>like there might be a heat issue and/or bad memory aggravated by the load.
>
>Have you checked the CPU and case and power supply fans to see if they all
>are working? Is the room warmer than normal? have you tried running with
>covers off the cases? Have you run memtest86 to see if your RAM has "aged
>out" over the years? If your memory is less than 64MB and you have
>insufficient swap (others have recommended 256MB) you are working things
>really hard.

It's a real power machine with an Intel Pentium II 233 MhZ CPU and 64 MB of RAM. I thought 128 MB of swap was enough but maybe I were mistaken. Taking off the case seems to have worked thou so maybe the CPU was just overheated even thou the fans seem to be working fine.
But DAMN it takes a long time to compile GCC (patience is not a virtue of mine).
Thanks for the help.

Robert

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org