Problem compiling GCC

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Oct 27 11:03:07 PST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Robert Larsen wrote:
>Chris Lingard wrote:
>>Robert Larsen wrote:
>><snip>

>>>I have a problem installing LFS. In chapter 6 when installing GCC I get
>>>this:
>>>
>>>I have no name!:/usr/src/gcc-3.2# patch -Np1 -i ../gcc-3.2.patch &&
>>> <snip>

>Hmm...not sure but I recompiled and then the "I have no name" thing
>disappeared. But during recompiling glibc my 'puter was resat several
>times for no apparent reason. I'm recompiling gcc now but it also resets
>the machine all the time so I'm interrupting the build from time to time

What is your configuration? How much swap, RAM, what CPU, etc. Check the
LFS archives with the search tool and you'll see a bunch of stuff about
how hard gcc/glibc and a few other things works the CPU. It sounds to me
like there might be a heat issue and/or bad memory aggravated by the load.

Have you checked the CPU and case and power supply fans to see if they all
are working? Is the room warmer than normal? have you tried running with
covers off the cases? Have you run memtest86 to see if your RAM has "aged
out" over the years? If your memory is less than 64MB and you have
insufficient swap (others have recommended 256MB) you are working things
really hard.

Good luck.

--
Bill Maltby