FW: Problem with static binutils

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Oct 27 08:00:23 PST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:51:07 +0100 Matthias Benkmann
<matthias at winterdrache.de> wrote:

> 3) As a consequence of 2, the Linux kernel developers do not accept bug
> reports from people running any modules like the one from NVidia. The
> kernel oops message contains a flag that tells them, that the kernel is
> "tainted" and if you post such an oops they will tell you that they will
> ignore it unless you can reproduce the problem with an untainted kernel.

In case the "as a consequence of 2" is not clear: This is NOT an issue of
open source advocacy. The Linux kernel developers don't just play asshole
to annoy users of binary only modules. They simply can't debug issues with
modules to which they don't have the source. Even worse, as they've never
seen the NVidia source code they can't even judge whether the problem is
related to the NVidia module or not.

MSB

--
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org