problems with network upbringing in LFS 3.3 (fwd)

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Oct 27 03:10:45 PST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Pawel J. Maczewski wrote:
>Hi,
>  I have made the installation exactly as was said in the LSF 3.3 book.
>Now I have configured everything and it is time to enjoy my new linux, go
>to the BLFS, etc, etc... But a problem appeared. When I reboot my computer
>to lfs-system, during the boot-time some messages appear:
>
>[...]
>Bringing up the eth0 interface
>SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>eth0: unknown interface: No such device
>SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
>SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
>eth0: unknown interface: No such device
>Setting up defaulf gateway...
>SIOCADDRT: No such device
>
>then the message appears telling it's problem during run of the
>/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20network script.
>
>Below, there is my /etc/modules.conf file:
>--- BEGIN /etc/modules.conf ---
>alias eth0 8139too
>--- END /etc/modules.conf ---
>
>I know i haven't do something well during the installation, something was
>not done. But, I'm sure i did EVERYTHING was said in the Book to be done.
>What should I do?

First, you should suspect that "...i did EVERYTHING was said in the
Book..." is incorrect!  ;)

I am not expert here, so be sure and use the LFS search of the archives
for similar problems. This has been posted many times in the past.

Well, here are my thoughts. Check the LFS book in the places relating to
what I will suggest. The failure is that your NIC driver is not being
found, or loaded. Either kernel configuration or config files are wrong.

In the kernel configuration (make menuconfig) be sure your network card is
enabled and either compiled in or enabled as a module. If you are going to
run make mrproper again, you might want to save the .config file first.
Mrproper will remove it. Then you can copy it back and use make oldconfig,
or make menuconfig again.

If you use modules, don't forget to make modules, make modules_install.
Also, depmod -a after reboot into LFS.

Files in /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/* must
be changed to match your setup.

If using modules, after reboot, type lsmod to see if your adapter
shows. You can also try manual install of the module with "modprobe xxxx"
or "insmod xxxx", where the xxxx is the driver for your card.

If module fails to load (does not show when lsmod is run) and you use
modules, make sure the gen*.o is in /lib/modules/2.4*/kernel/drivers/net.

If the driver is either compiled in, loads automatically or you
successfully modprobe/insmod it, you should be able to do

    ifconfig eth0 www.xxx.yyy.zzz (use your numbers).

Be sure and check the LFS archives using the search facility.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org