gawk installation

Wayne E. Harlan drharlan at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 26 09:35:12 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:54:15 +0100 Laurence Turpin <laurie.turpin at virgin.net> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I am trying to install an LFS 3.3 system using Mandrake 8.2 as the
> system I
> am creating it from. I have managed to get so far and have installed some
> packages, but I am stuck with an error I get when trying to install gawk.
> The problem occurs when I get to the point where I execute the following:
>
> make install
>
> I get the following error
>
> Making install in awklib
> make[1]: Entering directory '/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gawk-3.1.0/awklib'
> make[2]: Entering directory '/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gawk-3.1.0/awklib'
> /bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /mnt/lfs/usr/bin/awk
> mkdir /mnt/lfs/usr/bin/awk
> mkdir: '/mnt/lfs/usr/bin/awk' exists but is not a directory
> make[2]: ***[install-libexecPROGRAMS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gawk-3.1.0/awklib'
> make[1]: ***[install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gawk-3.1.0/awklib'
> make: ***[install-recursive] Error 1
>
> If I manually try to create the awk directory I still get the following
>
> mkdir /mnt/lfs/usr/bin/awk
> mkdir '/mnt/lfs/usr/bin/awk' exists but is not a directory
>
> can somebody advise me as to why it is failing please

This may not be directly ralated to your problem, but from the installation
path you show, this should be the static part of the installation.  So
why are you putting this in /usr already ?  Shouldn't it be in
/mnt/lfs/static (or /mnt/lfs/usr/local which is working well for me).
--
Wayne

Every major plan has a minor flaw and every major flaw has a minor plan.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org