rebooting into lfs fails when loading kernel ..............reboot!

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Sat Oct 26 08:32:06 PDT 2002

On Saturday 26 October 2002 4:27 pm, john smith wrote:

> > your kernel is bad. try compiling a new one. perhaps you selected thew
> > wrong CPU type?
> >
> > Try a minimal kernel.
>
> When I compiled the kernel I used make menuconfig and didn't change
> anything from the defaults that were there.

Depending on where you got the defaults from, a kernel compiled for 386 CPU
type should run on anything (in the x86 compatible family, of course...)

> I will have a look for cpu type.. could it be some other configuration
> option?

CPU type is almost certainly the culprit, however you might want to check
other things like SMP support - no point compiling a multi-processor kernel
if you only have one CPU.

Antony.

--

What is this talk of software 'release' ?
Our software evolves and matures until it becomes capable of escape,
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org