glibc 2.1.3 and LFS

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Oct 26 02:27:47 PDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:36:26 -0400 "Andre Jochems" <AJochems at ennia.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> Since i got no answer to my prior question i try refrasing it,
>
> I build an LFS 3.3 system and i am very impressed by it. I want to use
> it as basis for an Oracle database server but that needs glibc 2.1.3
> because the binaries it comes with are build against it. Is there a way
> of replacing the glibc 2.2.5 from LFS 3.3 by 2.1.3 or am i breaking
> things then.

You break things, but you don't need to *replace* 2.2.5 with 2.1.3. You
should be able to install 2.1.3 in another directory *in addition to*
glibc 2.2.5. Just pass --prefix=/somewhere  to glibc-2.1.3's configure and
it should install in /somewhere/lib. Then you start Oracle with

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/somewhere/lib  commandlinetostartoracle

Try it out and if you have trouble getting it to work, post specific
problem descriptions (e.g. compilation errors when building glibc-2.1.3)
to blfs-support (NOT lfs-support).
BTW, I recommend that you execute the commands to build and install
glibc-2.1.3 as an unprivileged user, NOT AS ROOT! That way you prevent it
from accidentally overwriting glibc-2.2.5 if something goes wrong.

MSB

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org