need swap when installing from CD host system?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sat Oct 26 01:21:06 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:11:29 +0000 (UTC)
dagmar at speakeasy.net ("Dagmar d'Surreal") wrote:

> > not copied. CODE (text sections) are simply discarded, and re-read
> > from disc when needed. they never end up in the swap partition.
> >
> > Try it - compile some piece of crap, then run it, then delete the
> > executable.
> >
> > you wont get the disc space back until you quit the executable.
>
> I want some of whatever it is you're smoking that lets you go from
> 40Mb of swap memory in use all the way to refcount > 1 tricks with the
> filesystem in one syntactic jump.

Er. wheres the flaw in the logic? why else would the binary be locked on
disc if not because thats where linux 'swaps' them to?

If it didnt 'swap' code back to the files it came from, there would be
no need.

the swap partition is for non-text sections. at least when the binaries
in question can be locked.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org